illamor High School before was Araullo High School, Sta.Ana Annex which was located on Jose Syquia St. Then by the power of the Municipal Ordinance pushed through by the late Councilor Angel Linao, the Araullo High School, Sta.Ana Annex became independent as another school on February 7, 1958 and became Sta.Ana High School. On September 26, 1958 through the power of Municipal Resolution No. 536 the Sta. Ana High School name was changed to Villamor High School in honor of Justice Ignacio Borbon Villamor, one of the first Filipinos who had established a worldwide feat in implementing laws and jurisprudence. In 1963, twelve (12) night classes were formed to sustain the need of working students. In July, 1970, through the power of Municipal Ordinance No. 6920, night classes for vocational education were officially approved. Sad to say, the Home Economics and Science Vocational Building got burned on 1980 but were rebuilt in 1990 with the help of former Manila Mayor Gemiliano Lopez.
The former Administration Building, made of wood, built in 1958, was replaced by a concrete building that has three (3) floors with a deck floor with the help of former Manila Mayor Alfredo S. Lim.
The offices of the principal, and the department heads, 20 classrooms, audio-visual room, property room, conference room and clerical and records offices can be found in the new Administration Building. The Vocational Building was also built consisting of eight (8) classrooms, office of the TLE department head and the retail store. This building was built with the help of the former representative of 5th District of Manila, Amado S. Bagatsing and DepEd-DPWH.
Last July, 2005, the H.E Building was demolished. Soon after, Phase 3 of the construction of the H.E. building was completed at the end of the school year. This school year, the library has been modernized and the science laboratory rooms have been improved, courtesy of the VHS Alumni Foundation. The EMIS Room was converted into a museum while the former Molave Room was made into a Computer Room. The second phase of the four storey Home Economics Building commenced and hoped that the building will be finished in the time for the opening classes in June.
The First phase of the VHS Annex Building located on San Andres Extension was finished in 2006, while the rest parts of the building were gradually completed until 2008 but not totally finished yet. After years of the waiting, the much-awaited opening blessing of the newly-built Home Economics Building was held on March 17, 2008 by Msgr. Bert Espenilla, parish priest of Holy Family. This was attended by Mayor Alfredo S. Lim of Manila as guest of honor with Mrs. Evelyn R. Gabuya, VHS Principal, together with the different Department Heads and guests.
In August 2008, when the Home Economics Building was used by the H.E. Food Laboratory, holding of two H.E. classes and at the same time home for VHS canteen at the first floor; other H.E. classes in the second; journalism and H.E. classes in the third and other classes of the year students in the fourth. One comfort room for each floor can be found and a bridge in the Administration Building in the East side and a connecting corridor to the TLE Building in the West at the third floor of the building.
JUSTICE IGNACIO BORBON VILLAMOR
FEBRUARY 1, 1863 - MAY 23, 1933
n May 24, 1915, the board of regents of the University of the Philippines (UP) elected Ignacio Villamor as president of the university. Villamor was the first Filipino president of the UP. He was executive secretary of the Philippine Commission at the time of his election. He assumed the duties of office on June 7 of the same year.
Ignacio Villamor was born on February 1, 1863, in the town of Bangued, Abra to Florencio Villamor and Wenceslawa Borbon. Florencio was a man above the average height; affable and agreeable and a good story teller; a successful farmer; a man who enjoyed life in the pueblo, and was a hospitable a Filipino as could be found in that part of Luzon. He was a true and loyal citizen as is shown by the fact that the electors of the town of Bangued elected him municipal president. Both he and his wife were educated in the Spanish language and they took a deep interest in the education and bringing up of their children. At an early age Ignacio attended school and completed his primary education in the Seminario Conciliar of Vigan. Father Mariano Dacanay and Father Ignacio Noriega, Roman Catholic priests in the seminary at Vigan, helped Ignacio most in his studies, in his literary work, and in his character building.
Ignacio was seven years old when his father died. He was left with restricted opportunities, but he toiled and advanced. He was always brave and cheerful and was very popular in his town and thoughout the provinces of Ilocos Norte and Ilocos Sur. Having given up his ambition to be a priest, Ignacio decided to move to Manila in 1882 and entered the college of San Juan de Letran where he completed his secondary studies and in 1885 received the degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts. After receiving his degrees he returned to his home in Ilocos Sur where he spent a two years vacation in study and research. In 1889 he founded the college of San Antonio de Padua. Later Villamor returned to Manila and matriculated in the college of law of the University of Santo Tomas (UST), receiving his degree of Bachelor of Law in March 1893. While studying law in the UST he finished two years work in literature and philosophy.
Villamor thus came into manhood fully equipped for a judicial career. He was morally clean, he was sober in his habits, he never gambled, he was honest, sincere and upright. He was also a profound thinker as well as a close reasoner. At this time he was without a thought of the great responsibilities awaiting him in later life. In 1898 when the Malolos Congress convened, Villamor represented his province and took an active part in the discussion of the constitution of the Philippine Republic especially that part relating to compulsory education.
On June 29, 1900, with Enrique Mendiola, the noted Filipino educator and scholar, Villamor founded the Liceo de Manila where he served as professor and secretary until February 16, 1901 when he was appointed fiscal of Pangasinan. On June 17 of the same year he was appointed judge of the Court of First Instance of the sixth judicial district comprising the provinces of Cavite, Laguna and Tayabas. On July 9, 1908, he was appointed attorney general of the Philippine Islands. He held this position with credit and distinction until December 15, 1913, when he was appointed by the Philippine Commission executive secretary of the Philippine Islands. He was eminently successful in this position accomplishing a great deal for the betterment of municipal and provincial governments. In 1918, after his stint at the UP, he became the director of the Bureau of Census. Two years later in 1920, he was named associate justice of the Philippine Supreme Court, a position he held until his retirement.
Ignacio Villamor spoke, read and wrote English, Spanish, Latin, Ilocano and Tagalog and several other dialects. He played the guitar and had a cultivated taste for art and sculpture. He had read widely in agriculture, education, sociology, and history and at the same time has achieved marked distinction in these various scholarly activities.
He was a member of the following scientific societies: Academy of Political and Social Science, National Geographical Society, Philippine Academy, Philippine Geographical Society and the Bar Association of Manila. Ignacio Villamor was a published author of several works on criminal science and general literature. Ignacio Villamor married Mariquita Flores. They had five children, all boys, one of whom was ace pilot and World War II hero, Jesus Antonio Villamor. His aged mother made her home with him. Mrs. Ignacio Villamor took a deep interest in the affairs of the home and gave a large part of her time and attention to the care and training of the children.
Ignacio Villamor died on May 23, 1933.